Thursday, June 24, 2010

Are department store makeup brands better than drug store?

I already feel like salon hair products are better (i notice huge differences) but is the makeup better quality? (like the foundation etc?)has anyone ever used both and can compare?Are department store makeup brands better than drug store?
It really does not matter. I will tell you something, I worked for a cosmetics company for a while and I know that bigger brands have a sister brand that is sold for less but made in the same place with the same ingredients. Lancome=Loreal Ponds= Elizabeth Arden Ultima 2 = Revlon and so on. It depends on what works for your skin, this takes experimentation so try different brands see what you like. good luck.Are department store makeup brands better than drug store?
Sephora has the best selections you could ever find. Thought the price are pretty darn pricey...but it's good! I love it.
i would pretty much have to say ';no.'; Here's why....i think if you know what colors look good on you, and you know how to apply makeup...well, that's where how makeup ends up looking on you matters, not how much it costs. No one is going to go ';Oh wow-your lashes look great! Where'd you get that mascara?'; Trust me-an eyelash curler and any old mascara will do. THe only time I'd say expensive makeup makes a difference is in eyeshadows when you're looking for those really funky colors for a party or something-like MAC, those colors show up really bright and funky on your face, while the cheaper ';funky'; eyeshadows come up pretty weak.
I'm going to say a definative YES! i'm a little biased since I have worked for few department store make up brands. But I have and still do use both drugstore and department store. Department store brands are great because they give you a consultation to find out the right shade and the right skin type for you so that your make up doesn't look: cakey, flakey, shiny, etc. Also, they show you how to apply it so you get that natural, dewey, or matte finish. Unfortunately with drugstore brands you don't get any of that help. Many women do not apply their make up correctly or do not use the correct shades. Resulting in fake and uneven coloring. Personally I'm a big fan of Benefit, Bobbi Brown, Clinique, MAC, and Chanel. To me, Bobbi Brown and Benefit are the best at finding your best colors and showing you the correct application technique. Clinique has a great skin regimen line that will keep your skin in top shape (remember skin needs to be healthy and looking good naturally before it can be GORGEOUS with makeup). MAC and Chanel just have rockin color selections. The department store brands are a little more expensive, not by much, but still worth every penny. Remember department store foundations, colors, etc. are tailored to your exact coloring and skin type. Drug store brands are tailored to the average of the population. Its worth the trip and the money to have make up you feel good about wearing. HTH!
I say positively yes. I've used both and I think for the most part, colors last longer with higher end makeup, colors stay true, don't turn orange or just a different color like most drugstore foundations can and last so much longer! Both on your skin %26amp; the products themselves because you do use less, colors seem to glide on and show much easier...


But for mascara I use maybelline! Or Loreal Volumunus. Make up brushes can be bought super inexpensively at places like Michaels! They sell goat hair, rabbit, squirrel, sable etc. A few of my BB brushes were about $50 they are sable, I could of gotten almost the indentical long handled wood brush for about $3-6 at Michaels. I've since bought a few e/s brushes and LOVE them :) HTH
It depends on the brand. For the most part I think that more expensive brands are better. I prefer to buy my makeup at places that I can try it before I buy it and/or have help with the shade selection and application. Usually these features come at places where the makeup costs more (i.e. the Estee lauder counter). I have been burned too many times randomly selecting shades at drugstores.
nope. people just have this mentality that what's more expensive are better. Ive watched an episode of tyra banks show where they had a make-up experiment. the makeup artist put drugstore make-up on the right side of a girl and department store make up on the left (same color). The girl was asked if which side she thinks is the one from the dept. store, and she got it wrong. At first, she was like so defending and all. The point here is, you couldnt tell the quality of a product basing on its price.
Well I'm a guy so I don't use makeup. But I have friends who wear drug store makeup, and friends who wear expensive makeup. Hands down, the good makeup is better. I recommend Chanel, I have a few friends that use it, and so does my mom %26amp; sister. It is definetely the best makeup money can buy. Go to Saks Fifth Avenue, Nieman Marcus, Nordstrom, or a Chanel Boutique and ask them what makeup they recommend for you. They have experts there that can tell you what's good for your facial structure, skin tone, etc. and will even sit you down and put it on you, tell you techniques for how to get a better look, etc. They're really helpful. I myself buy their lotions and skin care products (no makeup, I'm not gay, haha). It's a bit pricey, but will last long and is definetely worth it.





Hope this helps, ciao!
YES!! Drugstore make up doesnt have enough pigmentation to keep a good color while things like MAC, mark., and bare essentails are the best for any look you want to achieve and you can still see it at the end of the day!
it doesn't really matter, because all makeup does the same thing...enhance someone's facial features. But if you really care, I would say yes, because department stores probably have a wider variety, and they might have better makeup, because, well...it's a department store.
I think there are noticable differences between department store makeup and drug store brands. I actually use a little bit of both now - but mainly department store brands like Clinique, MAC, Chanel, Lancome, Estee Lauder, and Clarins. I mainly use foundations that are from department stores because I think it's a higher quality product (because of personal experience). More expensive drug store make up like mascara, eye shadows, and even nail polish are pretty good quality. For those, think L'Oreal, Max Factor and a few Revlon items.





Best of luck!
Yes I have, and there is no difference at all. You just feel different because the Dept. stores makes buying and using it an experience, with lighting and music, and people serving you. And you relive it each time you use the product.
I use maybelline foundation. This type does not make me break out or have irritated skin.It is good and not ';salon expensive'; (except for their eye shadows, they don't work well) As far as eye shadow goes, you should take a look at the liquid eye shadows sold by Avon. My favorite is the Quartz colour. Everyone always wants to know what eye shadow i am wearing


because it looks nice.


ps: don't buy Aveda foundation, it doesn't work well.
Absolutley! THis is WHY...


1. Quality


2. Right shade....there is someone there to try it on you...you get to see what it looks like and you can exchange it if you want to.


3. Price. ...It is a little more expensive ...but I stress....LITTLE....now days Revlon foundation is at least $10! Clinique starts at $15. It takes less of the product so it last longer.


4. You don't waste it. When I bought drug store Makeup ...I wouldn't use half the stuff after I bought it so I ended up with a drawer full of crap. Now that I only buy the good stuff , I have about a third of the Makeup. WHich also makes it easier to get dressed in the morning.





Good Question!
well i haven't but i saw on a show and the came out looking the same but i don't see why you should pay that much when youcould just go to the drugstore and buy almost the same thing of a whole lot cheaper!!!!
It's really a personal choice - I prefer MAC makeup
I have used it all and have worked for a high end brand and supplier. You can find cheaper makeup (Rimmel from Wal-Mart) and it is good quality at a good price. They have great lip glosses, shawdows, blushes, concealers and nice shades. Full line of makeup. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
tvs