Thursday, December 10, 2009

As an African - American female, should I work for makeup store with products catered to Caucasians?

I have experience in makeup and am looking into a position with a cosmetics franchise company as a part-time makeup artist a few hours per week. From doing research, I found that the line mostly caters to Caucasian White women and does not have a true customer base of women of color. Should I still pursue working this position or is it possible that they would be more apt to hire a Caucasian employee being that most of the customers that come to the store are this race? Do you feel that they would be more comfortable hiring a Caucasian person to work in the store. I never see any African American women in the store at all and when I anonymously called like an interested customer and asked if they carry makeup products for African American or darker skin, the woman said no hardly and that shes sorry n wishes their selection was expanded more. I know this could b considered a crazy question, but just thought I would ask. Wondering if they and I would be a comfortable combination. ThanksAs an African - American female, should I work for makeup store with products catered to Caucasians?
well, how about creating a true customer base there with women of color, as you put it, as well as women of all colors. what an opportunity, this is an excellent challenge for you, to help expand their inventory, so they can attract a wider clientele. it is also possible, that the company is looking to add more products for darker skin, but they are not quite sure, how to go about it. you might just be in the right place at the right time, to share your knowledge. good luck !!!!!As an African - American female, should I work for makeup store with products catered to Caucasians?
If you feel comfortable working there, why not? I've seen African-Americans giving white women make-overs and vice-versa. It really depends on if you're comfortable working for a company that doesn't have products you'd use.
If the pay is right, who cares??? It's a job in what you want to do!! Why does everything have to be viewed as a race issue??? The best make-up artist I have used was an AMAZING black woman. Let me tell you, the make-up she applied looked FIERCE! In fact, the girl I go to regularly is also black. I am white......ridiculously white, as pale as pale gets. They seem to know exactly looks good on me, and that's all that matters.
Honestly if you want to work there and do the job of make up tech, you will have to work on whites, asians as well as black people, however if you feel uncomfortable around other races, perhaps, now this is just a suggestion, you could find a salon in a more ethnic neighborhood and perhaps start a business for yourself doing makeup for women with darker skin for special events, weddings and such, heck that could be your calling and in ten years or so you could own your own cosmetics company specializing in darker skin tone women.
Who not working there? If the money is right you are fine! Who cares about the colour? Only if you are better at selecting colours for black skin - because you know better what suits it- and there is a shop that can give you the same money and specializes in dark skin makeup, then OK cause you can show your talent more.
Martin Luther King said if you only aspire to be the best ';African American'; Barber, beautician, teacher, etc. that you have flunked your matriculation exam for entrance into the university of integration. You must seek to be the best that you can be.





Ralph Waldo Emerson said that if you are the best at making people beautiful with make-up, the world the world will make a beaten pathway to your door.





OK OK. I took some liberty to fit in your specific situation into each of these great men's quotes. But you get the point.





Be the best you can be without regard to who your client is.
It's really up to you, but don't worry because there is no moral issue here either way. It's your choice. The only thing that would be wrong would be if you didn't want the job because you had some kind of hateful racist attitude, but from what you have said, it doesn't seem like you do.
Dear gosh just call us white, we don't care!!!!





I go to a Chanel makeup counter 2 times a week, and a girl named Shronda she is black does my makeup. I like her doing it, because I talk to her, and I get to hear her stories, and how much different people think of her then me. I can't believe that there is so many racist people. I wish I could just somehow tell the whole world that it doesn't mater what skin color ur in, it's that person under the skin





It's like apples, all apples come from a tree, some have green skin, some yellow, some red. But when you take off the skin all the apples are the same
  • Ltd
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

     
    tvs